Tuesday, August 4, 2009

To dance or to eat salsa?

What comes into your mind when we talk about "salsa"? At first I'll think about the dance for Salsa music created by Spanish-speaking people from the Caribbean.

Little did I know that salsa simply means "sauce" and in Mexican terms firey and tomatoey with plenty of fresh chilies, onion, cilantro, garlic and salt. Always a blend of chopped, diced or grated fruit and vegetables, along with fresh herbs and spices.

Talking about "salsa", it's not only used to accompany Mexican foods but you can create incredibly healthy low-fat meals just by combining these salsas with your favorite fish, chicken, grains or vegetables. This sounds interesting and tempting especially when I saw the simple Texas salsa recipe which claimed to be the "the most delicious salsa that doesn't require any cooking!"I just wonder where could I find Jalapeno Olives or Jalapeno Relish in Hatyai?

Photo source
Simple Texas Salsa




Why I'm interested with salsa? I've read that salsas taste good (just like hot sauce) and they are good for you. Capsaicin, what makes chilies and the sauces and salsas that contain them hot, carry a bunch of benefits.

First off, you can improve digestion by eating them. The spiciness in a hot
sauce or a salsa stimulates stomach secretions. Sure, the old wive's tale says that ulcer sufferers should avoid spicy foods, but it turns out that eating hot stuff stimulates blood flow to the stomach and increases its mucous lining. That may help heal ulcers.

Hot sauces can even battle depression. That's because every time you eat something hot, you release endorphins and endorphins are the natural "happy drug" that your body produces. Endorphins resemble opiates in how they work. They relieve pain and promote a sense of well being. They're often called "natural pain killers" or "the runner's natural high."

No wonder that Thailand is known as the "Land of Smiles" because they love hot sauces and food and I'm glad to be part of that
!


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. i rather eat than dance salsa.(lol) ..the food looks so yummy.. I also love food with chili..(mmm) the reason why i'm always wearing a happy face too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. my husband loves mexican food ^_^
    we love salsa. happy weekend sis.musta?

    hope di kumalat ang H1N1 dyan...naka mask pa rin ba kayo? ingat sis. GOd bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love salsa, too! Thanks for sharing some of its wonderful benefits. I hope you can visit my Mommy Moments entry for this week: http://www.pensivethoughts.com/2009/08/mommy-moments-part-of-family.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both : eat then flatten the bilbil by dancing :)

    ReplyDelete

When commenting, please use Name/URL so that I could follow you back and comment at the right blog. But if you prefer commenting with your blogger profile, please leave a link to your blog. Thank you!

Anonymous commentators are not allowed.