Friday, February 20, 2009

Mommy Moments- Feeding Time

mommy moments


I knew beforehand that if possible, I have to nurse my baby soon after birth (within the first-and-a-half), since that is when newborns are usually most alert. Unfortunately, in my case, after giving birth the baby was brought to the nursery, was incubated (even my baby is normal for that’s the policy of the hospital), and was properly examined and checked by their pediatrician. I saw my baby again after three-and-a-half hour. When I see him, he’s fast sleeping until 3:30 when another nurse came in, took the baby for his bath and brought him back at 6:00. Because of language barrier, I had a hard time understanding a nurse who came in at 10:00 pm to fetch my baby and let him sleep at the nursery. I miss my baby terribly on the first night. We had a hard time breastfeeding him because I have an inverted nipple and he has a hard time latching on it. The first try is a failure. I tried my best to breastfed him but I pity him every time I fed him because he cried out of frustration. There’s one time that I really forced him to latched on, he stopped crying, wouldn’t open his mouth (the milk is already smearing all over his face) and he just close his eyes (he’s not sleeping). He seemed to deliver a message that says “Mommy, you got to feed me something else because you’re keeping me hungry.” My heart melted from this sight and that’s the start of the bottle feeding-first with the pumped milk and three weeks later it’s purely infant formula for I went back to work.


My husband helped my baby latch on my breast


Breastfeeding is giving my baby something that no one else can give

As I started bottle feeding my baby, I see to it that it should ideally be as nurturing experience as breast feeding. I take it as an opportunity to hold my baby, with the head a little higher than the rest of the body because I know that if this is not done, sometimes the milk reaches the inner ear causing an ear infection.


Bottle feeding provides a delicious opportunity for me to get close to my baby. So I take time to cuddle him, look into his eyes, and talk or sing quietly to him. Sometimes, I open my shirt for some skin-to-skin contact for I want to offer to him the same soothing sensation and physical closeness that breastfeeding provides.


When he is two-months old, he already possessed the ability to let me know that he is full from a "meal" with signs such as turning away from the bottle.This is important so that the baby is able to self-regulate the amount of food being eaten. This helps stop baby from accidentally overeating. At three months he can sit up and hold head up unassisted. He became so interested in our food and started sucking his fingers (not thumb). His birthweight doubles. He was then introduced to his first solid food-porridge with squash.

I bought this special rice exclusive for baby's porridge

Click HERE! to view Hyzyd's video while I fed him. He open his mouth once he saw the spoon coming. I just let him eat at his own pace and it looks like I can't cope with him.LOL!

9 comments:

  1. wow atleast you tried ...ako dn inverted isa ko eh kaya isa lng tlga ginamit nila hanggang tumigil sila..nuti nlng ung isa nde inverted. AAng sweet nmn ni hubby tinutulungan k magpa dede heheh =) and tama ka iba tlga pag nagpapadede ka saiy mismo =) sarap sa pakiramdam =) good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great you tried even with the issues...you did great! :) Such a cutie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job for trying your best to breastfeed your baby. It doesn't matter how long you did it, at least you tried. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, it doesnt matter how long you were able to breastfeed... as long as you TRIED, di ba? and also, i can see that you really maximized every feeding moment to become a bonding moment with your baby :) thats good.

    thanks for taking part in this week's mommy moments again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go girl! Nakakatuwa at tinulungan ka talaga ng asawa mo. :) Pretty shots you got there.

    Twinkie Calls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Those were nice pictures. Ako rin, plan to talaga karirin pag-breastfeed kay baby when I give birth. 2wks lang ako dati nakapag-bfeed sa eldest ko eh.

    p.s. iba talaga lasa ng jollibee spag nuh? hehehe fave namin yun mag-ina :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehe I never liked that, when hubby insist on helping me with breastfeeding.. ayoko ng istorbo.. hehe..

    Make or Break

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate, my first try on breat feeding was a failure too, but Im still gla to hold my baby close for the first time.. I had to stop breast feeding early too because of work.
    just dropping by and doing my late rounds of Mommy Moment entries thanks for visiting my entry

    hope you can also visit sweetytots

    ReplyDelete

When commenting, please use Name/URL so that I could follow you back and comment at the right blog. But if you prefer commenting with your blogger profile, please leave a link to your blog. Thank you!

Anonymous commentators are not allowed.