Thursday, June 18, 2009

Life with my learners

my first experience of handling 4 years old last summer ..can you identify the teacher?...he..he..he...

It's been three weeks and 3 days to be exact when I started to teach Anuban 1 (3 years old) and Anuban 2 (4 years old). Here are some unforgettable moments I have with them:

1. "Parroting". My learners mimic every words that I say. So, I have to make hand signal for them to determine when are they going to close their mouth and when are they going to follow after me.

2. The first time I let them identify letters (for Anuban 2), I'm confused of what are they mumbling! It's only letter a and I wonder why I heard three-syllable words! It took me quite some time for me to understand that when they identify the letter, they name a word that starts with "that" letter and translate it to Thai! When I let them identify "a", they'll say "a", ant, m00t (Thai of ant). They keep on insisting this pattern even how hard I tried to make it easy for them to just IDENTIFY "a".

3. My first meething with my Anuban 1 made me frustrated because I'm like talking to stones. They will not response to me no matter how hard I coaxed them to follow after what I'm doing or saying. Thanks God for the wisdom. The star stickers did the trick. They're all babbling learners!..he..he..

I want to share some practical teaching tips that I've learned in teaching English as a second language to Thai learners:

1. Establish a signal to be used to get students' attention. For example: clap your hands twice, blowing of whisle or tapping the table thrice.

2. Plan to change activities approximately every 5-7 minutes as young learners have short attention spans. I see to it that I plan more than enough activities so that it is possible to quickly change to another activity without disrupting the class. I also change activities before student lose interests and become bored. The result, the learners will look forward to do the activity in future lessons.

3. Develop a class routine and follow it in each lesson. learners will develop a sense of security which will lead to greater participation. I also develop classroom commands that the students will follow and understand everytime I use them...everytime they'll hear them like sit down, stand up, point, open your book and many more. A certain chant is also developed to master basic classroom commands.

So far, my life with my learners is enjoyable though it's challenging but it makes me feel young always to be surrounded with children...*grin*...



Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. hi sis, goodluck sa iyong pagtuturo parang enjoy ka naman kahit masakit sa ulo turuan ang mga bata kapag age level na ganyan hahaha.just kidding.di ako siryoso noh. medyo lang. alam ko namang magaling kang guro ^_^ kaya yakang yaka mo yan madam.

    btw, thanks for the birthday greetings.I added your link here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you!!!hehe at first I did not recoognized you,I thought student ka din eh.Kewl...reading your post thought me that it isn't easy to teach w/ those bunch of kiddos w/ diff'rent language w/ them buti na lang matyaga ka sis & it seems you're enjoying it & w/ them bumabata din ang feeling mo hehe & that's all that matters.
    Btw,kumusta na ang pakiramdam mo?How's Hyzyd & your husband doin'?....ang ganda ng bago mong signature sis..'like it!!!Have a nice day & good morning!!Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gang, totoo yan! Pag eenjoy mo yan with them talagang babata ka hehehe! heart, mind and soul.
    Jesus Loves the little children!! You have great job and commission! amping kanunay!

    ReplyDelete

When commenting, please use Name/URL so that I could follow you back and comment at the right blog. But if you prefer commenting with your blogger profile, please leave a link to your blog. Thank you!

Anonymous commentators are not allowed.